Project Finance - Vault Top 20 Firm - 3+ Years Experience - NY, DC, Miami, or Houston
You should demonstrate excellent legal knowledge, with a strong intellectual curiosity to keep learning and develop your expertise over a broad range of industries and sectors. Combining strong analytical and drafting skills, you should be comfortable navigating the contractual intricacies of complex, large-scale projects. Highly organized and deadline-focused, you should be adept at managing multiple work streams, and delivering flawless work within short timeframes.
Personable and cooperative, you should enjoy working as part of a team, and be adept at building strong professional relationships. Good communication skills will be a significant asset, as will fluency in other pertinent languages (Spanish or Portuguese are a plus).
Working on major, high-profile transactions which can take months or years to close, you will need patience, focus, and—given the fluctuations in the pace of the work—flexibility in terms of your hours. Excited by the practice, you should be keen to take on as much responsibility as possible, and display the proactivity of thought and action to exceed the expectations of both colleagues and clients.
The firm’s Energy, Infrastructure, Project and Asset Finance Group has a worldwide reputation for helping sponsors and developers to achieve their most complex and ambitious project goals. As the preeminent global law firm in this field, it offers clients an unrivaled depth and breadth of knowledge and experience, in jurisdictions across the globe and across all the major project development sectors.
From the moment you join, you will be working with leading practitioners within the Group, as well as with colleagues from the firm’s M&A, Capital Markets, and Regulatory & Compliance practices, who contribute their sector-specific expertise to the multidisciplinary project teams. As an associate, you will handle a significant amount of contractual work, and have the opportunity to support both financing and project development work streams. The work can be demanding but is always rewarding—both in terms of the constant opportunities for learning and professional development, and the satisfaction of contributing to high-profile projects which have a lasting impact on people’s lives.
This role can be based in New York, Miami, Washington, DC, or Houston.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating credit facilities and related financing documentation including security agreements, accounts agreements, intercreditor arrangements, etc
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating purchase and sale, procurement, project development, construction, joint venture, supply, and offtake agreements
- Counseling clients on joint ventures, private equity investments, and strategic transactions for public and private companies industries related to the practice
- Managing deal teams and processes across practice areas and geographic locations
- Solving legal problems relating to heavily-regulated industries
- Managing and conducting due diligence
- Conducting brief or more complex research, or drafting of memoranda, depending on client needs
- Serving as the primary point of contact for clients, opposing counsel, and other transactional legal teams
- Exercising good judgment in internal and external written and verbal communications
- Providing direct assistance to senior lawyers on matters arising in the course of the day-to-day provision of legal services to leading international and domestic clients
- Mentoring and training of junior team members and attendance at, and participation in, continuing education classes and client development initiatives
- 3+ years of relevant law firm or in-house experience
- Fluency in English is required; fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese is preferred
- Strong academic record and intellectual curiosity, creative thinker
- Commercial and business awareness
- Ability to see the big picture
- Outstanding communication and negotiation skills
- Strong time management skills, ability to stay calm under pressure when juggling multiple projects
- Excellent drafting skills
- Driven by professional growth
- Strong professional presence
- Client service focus
- Team player
- Strong judgment
- Proactive, resourceful, takes initiative
- Long-term interest in business law
- International experience a plus
- Good understanding of the key risks and issues involved in cross-border transactions